At San Mateo County, we strive to make walking and bicycling safe and comfortable for everyone. Our Office of Sustainability works to create more livable communities through multiple programs and initiatives, including our active transportation program which encourages walking and biking. We are now working to create an Active Transportation Plan to help define priorities for walking and biking improvements. The plan will also give planners, engineers, advocates, and policymakers the tools they need to build safe, comfortable, and convenient facilities for walking and biking in unincorporated San Mateo County.
Technical Work: Existing Conditions
- Gather data
- Identify existing facilities, barriers, and opportunities
- Survey and interactive map
- Walking and bicycling tours
- Community workshops and pop-up events
Technical Work: Draft Recommendations
- Develop list of projects and programs
- Prioritize recommendations
- Continue survey and interactive map
Technical Work: Draft Plan
- Develop financial and implementation strategies
- Share draft plan
- Community workshops
- Community pop-up events
Technical Work: Final Plan
- County Board of Supervisors for approval and adoption
- Share final plan on website
You are our local experts, and we need to hear from you, no matter how you get around. What is it like to walk and bike in your neighborhood? What improvements would you like to see? In Summer and Fall of 2019 we collected input through an online survey, interactive map, and by talking with San Mateo County residents. We will continue to engage through our next phases of work by sharing information online, and coming to you!
email envelope iconSign up to receive email updates about the plan.
Visit us at local events to talk with us and share your ideas. We’ll have maps for you to write on and other fun activities to share more information about the planning process, get your input, and share our progress.
- Road Shows: We will be hosting a series of informal pop-up events, where we will participate in community events across the county.
- Community Workshops: We will also be hosting open house-style community workshops to share project information and get your input through interactive activities. More information will be posted as these events are scheduled.